Friday 5 August 2016

Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 (Realm of Shadows Review)


Another year, another telltale graphic adventure game in our hands. But, this time, you are in the driver's seat of THE BATMAN. I had the opportunity this week to finally play the first episode of Batman: The Telltale Series and I must say it was a good episode, to say the least, however, it does come with a couple of flaws in my opinion.



The game literally starts off the bat, see what I did there, with you playing as Batman and him taking down a bunch of goons who were breaking into a vault. Now, if you are familiar with the other games that Telltale created then you will be right at home. The reaction commands and the quick time decisions making are back, however, I did find it trouble to aim my reticule to a specific area while using a gadget. Maybe I didn't adjust the settings accordingly. However, not only will you be playing the role of Batman and doing a lot more detective work than punching goons, you will be also playing as the billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne which is a first in any Batman video game.

For the first time, you get to play and look into the mindset of Bruce Wayne (voiced by Troy Baker)

For a long time now, Telltale have given us the option to make tough decisions on a timer and determine what would happen to that character that we have come across till the season finale. I almost felt like I made the wrong decision while having a conversation with a character, for example, shaking a hand, replying to a text message etc. As you all know, Gotham is no happy place to live in with numerous gangs such as Carmine Falcone leading, being the antagonist of this episode, and the villains trying to take this city for themselves. However, with the help of Bruce Wayne supporting Harvey Dent's election campaign to become Mayor of Gotham, it seems Gotham may take a turn for the better. And along the way, we also get to see Catwoman/Selina Kyle who also her own agenda in this episode.

Batman has arrested Selina Kyle/Catwoman, or did he??

The major downside for this game would have to be Bruce Wayne. As you may or may not know, when Bruce Wayne was a child his parents (Martha & Thomas Wayne) were gunned downed by a robber. And it shows in this game, that Bruce Wayne is still mourning their death. I get it, Bruce, your parents died please stop being such a downer and let us get back to the story at hand. The other problem that this episode suffers is Troy Baker's voice acting as Bruce Wayne, for me, it just doesn't cut it. I would prefer if Jason O'Mara voiced him. I think he is a great pick, in my opinion, if you don't believe me, go watch Justice League: War, Son of Batman and a bunch of others.

Come on Bruce, stop being a debbie downer and let's get back to the story

In the end, Realm of Shadows is a good start to the Batman: Telltale Series with quick decisions making, an intriguing yet repetitive story and a great cast of characters. And I think we are going to have a great season in our hands.

So Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 1, Realm of Shadows what did you think about it? Who is your favourite DC character? Comment below, spread this article around and let me know. Remember to follow me on Twitter (@dmyxxxx) and I'll see you guys next time. Later tater.

P.S. This is my first game review guys so I'm super rusty, so bear with me while I get the hang of this. I might review the other episodes or as a whole. Hope you guys enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment