Sunday 22 November 2015

Ant-Man (2015) Movie Review [Non-Spoiler] (Digital Version)




























Cast: Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man, Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne, Corey Stoll as Darren Cross/Yellowjacket, Bobby Cannavale as Paxton, Michael Pena as Luis and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym. Directed by Peyton Reed.

All righty then, it's time to review Ant-Man.

Ant-Man is the final installment in Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase Two and it stars Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man who must plot a heist to help defend Doctor Pym's (the original Ant-Man) Ant-Man shrinking technology from falling into the wrong hands that may cause a worldwide catastrophe.


Now I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, I wasn't hyped for this film. I mean, obviously I'm going to watch every single movie that Marvel makes, it's just that I generally didn't know who Ant-Man was and I thought he had a boring power. However, all that went out of the window when I finished watching it and I loved nearly, every minute of it. It had great comedic elements, cool action scenes but, in a much smaller scale. We just finished watching Age of Ultron and that was a huge movie, an A.I robot threatening to extinct the human race by lifting a big piece of the earth and slamming it.

The beginning of the movie starts off in 1989, when Hank Pym resigns from S.H.I.E.L.D after discovering their attempts at reproducing his Ant-Man shrinking tech. Within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie, it has a couple of bumps. We see Scott Lang, a well-meaning thief being released out of prison and meeting up with his friend Luis and seeing his daughter Cassie. Then we come to see that Pym's daughter and his protege, Darren Cross have nearly finished developing a shrinking suit of his own. I think it was trying to give as much info as possible in small window (10 to 15 minutes of it). The only negative about this movie is Darren Cross. He was an awesome villain as Yellowjacket don't get me wrong but, it was really cliche to be honest. They also have a little Marvel Cinematic Universe references too, so keep your ears open.






















Now, let me talk a little bit about the action and the shrinking moments in the film because they nailed it. We get to see Scott gradually becoming the hero that he is supposed to be, his communicating with the ants, he's shrinking and growing, he's doing everything he can to keep up the momentum, punching guys from all kinds of angles. It kept me wanting to see more of this (but it ended, awwwwwwww). And my favorite scene, would have to be when he and Yellowjacket are fighting inside a briefcase and in Cassie's room, on top of a train. Sometimes, I would forget that they're tiny.






















All in all, I loved the characters, I loved the action, I loved the relationship that Paul had with his daughter and with Hope. And I really think they should do a prequel to this, you know when Hank Pym is in his prime as Ant-Man because Michael Douglas was great and we got to see a bit of his backstory with him and his wife. I think just about anyone who isn't a Marvel fan will like this movie. I'm going to give Ant-Man a B+.

I was going to talk about the post-credit scene but it's better if you see for yourself. Make sure you stay in the theater throughout the entire credits, there are two post-credit scenes.

Let me know in the comments below, what did you think of the movie. See you next time readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment