Thursday 1 October 2015

Life (2015) Movie Review

Lifefilmposter.jpg

Cast: Robert Pattinson as Dennis Stock, Dane DeHaan as James Dean, Ben Kingsley as Jack L. Warner, Joel Edgerton as John G. Morris and Alessandra Mastronardi as Pier Angeli. Directed by Anton Corbijn. 

Life is a biographical drama film based on the friendship of Life photographer Dennis Stock and Hollywood actor James Dean, starring Robert Pattinson and Dane DeHaan respectively. The plot of the movie follows Dennis Stock who's got an assignment to shoot a rising Hollywood actor before the release of East of Eden and he chose James Dean.

Now when I saw this movie, I didn't know what to expect from it. I saw no trailers or previews of it. I only saw a brief glimpse of the movie on a YouTube ad and it looked kind of interesting from my point of view. I really liked the production of film, the location and setting of the film looked a lot like how it did in the 1950s or 1960s.

From what I got from the movie, it looked like James Dean was not a big Hollywood actor back in the day, he's been down in the slumps because he hasn't had a challenging role in a movie yet and you really see either how depressed or bored he has become and I thought Dane DeHaan played it really good. Though a couple of times, I couldn't hear his voice at certain scenes it sounded like he was muffling to a pillow. Now Dennis Stock was really interesting to me, he was a struggling photographer and father trying to build a name for himself and he's sees a chance to become something when he sees James Dean. I thought Robert Pattinson played his role better than Dean DeHaan, even more so than his past films such as the Twilight saga. And over time, as the movie progresses, they begin to forge a friendship between them as the duo travel from Los Angeles to New York and Indiana.

However, the movie was a bit boring for me, I wasn't really paying attention to the movie at times and a couple of scenes were bit long and the pacing of the movie slowed down, at least that's what I thought from my perspective.

Now I'm not saying this movie is a bad film, it just wasn't a movie that I would watch or recommend to a friend looking to skip a few hours. I watched this with my friend and she really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of biographical films and looking for something different, then this is your cup of tea and if not, I would wait for a better movie to be released for instance The Martian. I'm going to give Life a C+.

Leave me a comment below and tell me what did you think of Life, until then I'll see you next time readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment